Monday, April 13, 2009

Zurich and A Happy Easter

Last Sunday, I met Alyssa and Debbie in Zurich where we spent the entire day on the lakefront. The weather cooperated wonderfully well. For about 6 hours, we just sat and chatted, and did a bunch of people watching.

(l-r) Alyssa, Me, Debbie:



Debbie got interviewed for the radio, but first he was interviewing me. I had no idea what he was saying but I didn't want to interrupt him so I waited until he was finished before I informed I didn't know what he was saying.



And now for people watching:



Look closer, count the legs:



Green shorts, long black socks, blue shoes. Stylin':



AAAAaaaannnnndd, I'm going to see Dave Matthews Band at the one and only Montreux Jazz Festival along with Steely Dan and Chickenfoot. That's how I'll spend my Independence Day:



---------------------------

Today I spent seven hours traveling home from Rudesheim am Rhein, in Germany. There, I met Philipp. He spent his junior year of high school at Nickerson and we became good friends. He and I played soccer and were in jazz band together. Every time I've come to Europe, I have visited him either in Berlin or Rudesheim. This was the fourth visit. Like the weekend in Zurich, the weather here was absolutely perfect. Sun, no rain, and a comfortable temperature. Every meal except for the Easter Brunch was consumed outside.



Table for Easter Brunch:





Opa, Oma, an aunt of Philipp:



They have a tradition here where you try to smash another person's egg with yours. It's much like doing the wishbone from a turkey:



Philipp's parents, Ursula and Ralf:



Phil has two siblings, both younger than him. This is Freddy, short for Frederica:



Alex, Phil's brother. When I got there on Friday, Phil hadn't yet arrived from Berlin and I mistook Alex for Phil:



Opa got a little wild:









My new European goal is to find these:





Philipp's parents operate a vineyard. However, that's not the only way they make their money (and they make a lot of it). Ralf is a consultant and an engineer (what he consults and engineers, I don't know). He spends a lot of time giving seminars and presentations. I did come away from the weekend with four bottles of wine. Huzzah!



I also found some interesting small glasses in a shop. I now have six glass boots. That's five more than Tim has! Five more!



I like warm weather!

With that,
Jon

3 comments:

SchwesterGaga said...

I'm looking forward to drinking out of one of those boots upon your return.

huberloja@hotmail.com said...

Wow! Thanks for the photo essay.

I hope you find rubber duckies just like that!

Tara said...

nice pictures. It looks like you had a great time