Sunday, August 24, 2008

Bammental Kerwe/Weinfest in Leer

Well, I'm sitting in a farmhouse in Ostfriesland, in the northern tip of Germany. I'll get to the Weinfest happenings later. Last weekend, I made the trip to Bammental to see my brother, Tim, and his family. My nephew, Gus, is growing every day and loves to roll around (no crawling yet!) and bite people.






Cute kid.

It was a good visit with them. I'm glad that they're close. We are within the same train service area, and it only costs me 5.80 one way to see them. I think that's relatively cheap.

This week, Heiko was preparing to go to a Weinfest in Leer. I had worked through the week thinking I was going to be staying in Wintersheim for the weekend, but on Wednesday evening Heiko asked if I wanted to come. I figured it would be a good (cheap) way to see the country. I had no idea what to expect. Heiko and I loaded up the Mercedes Sprinter with loads of wine and a trailer with a fair-like stall. When we got there, two of Heiko's cousins came and helped to construct the stall and get things ready for the festival, which was Friday and Saturday. The crowd was not of the younger type and I was surprised at how busy things were.
The stall:


The festival:




The weather here in Leer is much like Seattle. In fact today was the first day that it hasn't rained (yet). I was comfortable in a hoodie and jeans, although some were comfortable in work overalls, a t-shirt, and Birkenstock's:


Until next time,
Jon

No comments: