Monday, February 09, 2009

New Beginnings

Thursday afternoon, I bid the Dettweiler's farewell.



I thanked them for the wonderful opportunity they provide by hosting trainees. Their farewell gifts were very thoughtful: a bottle of wine from 1987, a t-shirt from the vineyard, and a kids book about work that happens on a vineyard. Heiko took me to the train stop and helped me get my two heavy suitcases onto the train. Eventually I met up with Von at a stop and we made our way to Karlsruhe for the Mid-Term Conference.

The Mid-Term Weekend in Karlsruhe was a splendid affair. While a lot of the time was structured, it was much looser than the orientation conference in August.



Naturally, everybody just wanted to hang out and chat, share stories and have fun. One of my duties as the trainee rep was to have devotions for each night. I asked Matt, the Dutch rep, to help me out. They didn't have to be long so we elected to do songs. The first one we did was by Ben Harper, called Picture of Jesus. Since most people are changing placements, it's good to have reinforcement that you're not alone in situations you may encounter.

The chorus goes:
"I've got a picture of Jesus
In His arms my prayers rest
I've got a picture of Jesus
And with Him we shall be forever blessed"

The second devotion we did was "The Great Storm is Over" which sets a calming and relaxing tone. It was needed because earlier in the day we attended a Bundesliga match (my third) of Karlsruhe against Hamburg. Karlsruhe is in the bottom of the table while Hamburg is near the top. I elected to cheer for Karlsruhe and not just because our tickets were for Stehplatz (standing) but if Hamburg loses, that gives Hoffenheim more chances to stay at the top of the table.



Things weren't looking good for KSC as Hamburg scored within the first five minutes. (0:1) The first half wasn't too spectacular. Hamburg opened the second half in much the same fashion with another quick goal. (0:2) With Hamburg up 0:2, KSC needed to gain momentum, and they did to cut the deficit in half. (1:2) The action began to get quicker and rowdier with two red cards and each side being reduced to 10 men.



Then KSC ties the match and the crowd is singing even louder, trying to get behind their team. (2:2) As the match progresses, it looks like each side is playing to a tie. However, a KSC player is brought down on the side of the field and a free kick is awarded in the added time at the end of the half. The ball is kicked and lands at the feet of a KSC player and he nets the winning goal as the final whistle is called. (3:2) Mind you, with every goal, bad play and bad call, certain fans took to throwing their beer, cup and all, toward the field.



Luckily I was miraculously missed at each chance, though others were not as lucky and were drenched by the end of the match. This was by far one of the best matches I've seen. I enjoy a good, rowdy stehplatz.





Today, we said our last goodbyes and made our way to the train station to head to next term's placements. There's one other trainee in Switzerland with me, but she's in Basel which is about a three hour journey. She and I, along with German/Swiss committee member Debbie, rode together down to Basel. Then I had a train from Basel to Zurich and on to where I'd get picked up. However, the train going to Zurich was late and I missed my train. I don't blame this on the SBB, but rather the French TGV train that I rode on. All was not lost and I was able to get on the same trains, but just a half hour later than anticipated.

I arrived to Wattwil and that's where I met Dirk, my host dad for the next six months. (I still can't believe that it's the second half.) We got to the house and it's a typical Swiss farmhouse. There are some doors and rooms where I must crouch so I don't hit my head. I was told before that I would have Alps outside my bedroom window. This is indeed true and pictures will be coming.

Aside from that, I haven't been here long enough to thoroughly describe the house, family and area. They did ask if I wanted to take more German classes. I'd really like to, but I think if they speak it with me all the time, I'll learn a lot more than I would in a class.

Until next time,
Jon

1 comment:

Lois said...

...and now for chapter 2.. we'll enjoy hearing more about Switzerland! Keep those photos & stories coming!