Monday, January 12, 2009

Happiness, Trips, Changes

A lot of me likes to plan trips. A lot. Another part of me sometimes doesn't plan things. When you work Monday to Friday and have a whole continent to explore on the weekend, sometimes it's good to leave things to the last minute. On Friday, I was having Internet trouble during a chat with Tim, so I decided to call. That call turned into me leaving on a train for Bammental 20 minutes after I hung up. It was a weekend I dearly needed after what I can unfortunately call my worst week since I've been in Europe. This bad week was partly why I didn't update my blog for so long, because I didn't want my semi-depressive state to take over. Never fear, things are much, much better.

When I got there, Gustav has learned a new trick in which he twirls on one foot. He was demonstrating that for a Tim and Heidi, and Daniel and Nicole. When I walked in, Gustav was put to bed and the five of us watched Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

On Saturday, Tim, Heidi, Gustav and I walked to an Aldi store in a neighboring town. Like most of the country side in southwest Germany, there is still snow on the ground. Gustav had fun exploring the cold white stuff.









We had a dinner that night of Prieb Burgers, which had been dreamt up by the guys Tim lived with in Prieb House at Tabor. On a Prieb Burger are cheese, bacon, bbq sauce, and my favorite: a fried egg. They were absolutely fantastic.

Sunday we had kaese spaetzle for lunch after church. This is another of my favorite Germanish dishes. Then, after a semi-lazy Sunday afternoon, I made my way back to my home here in Wintersheim and found a happier Heiko.

Last night the low temperature got down to less than -10 Celsius, or about 14 Fahrenheit. It's very, very cold and the snow won't melt. Perhaps the next few days of highs in the 40s will change that.

It's hard to imagine, but in less than a month I'll be making my way to Hemberg, Switzerland to begin my second placement. I leave here on the fifth of February for the mid-term conference near Karlsruhe and then on the ninth, I travel to Hemberg. My Wintersheim address will only be good for a few more days (though, if any mail is sent here, I'm sure it will find its way to me in Switzerland) so I'll go ahead and post my new Swiss address. I'll post it again as time gets closer. Remember, mail is fun!!

Jon Huber
c/o Familie Fellmann
RĂ¼teli 365
CH - 9633 Hemberg


I also was finally able to upload the rest of the Christmas pictures. The first half of the slideshow is from the previous Christmas blog, but the last half are pictures most of you haven't seen!



This weekend I'm going to a ski weekend in Switzerland. Don't worry, Nana, I'm not skiing. My knee wouldn't be able to handle it. I'm going because there will be other trainees there, some of whom I haven't seen since August. So, look forward to pictures of the Alps after the weekend.

Until next time,
Jon

2 comments:

Allison said...

I love when Gustav is in your posts. His little gloves (and Gus himself) are so cute! I am SO very jealous of your ski weekend in Switzerland... and sad for you that your knee prohibits skiing!

huberloja@hotmail.com said...

I'm glad to hear the smile in your voice again.