Sunday, February 24, 2008

Checkride on Monday

So, after more than 9 mos. of no posts on here, I figure I'll update it.

The checkride adventure first started way back in December. I had everything scheduled out and much to my disappointment, weather didn't cooperate. Weather also didn't cooperate for me leaving on a trip to Germany with Jessica on time. After I got back from Germany, things were busy at home with family visiting and making up for me not being at home over Christmas.

Then there were many attempts between the end of December and February, but those were also cancelled for reasons such as bad weather or plane maintenance issues. The plane, a complex aircraft (constant-speed prop, flaps, retractable landing gear), is the only plane that I'm able to take on the checkride. It's hard to take a test when the piece of equipment you need is gone for a month getting a new engine. Perhaps that's for the best though.

Anywho, the seventh rescheduled checkride is now due for Monday at 1. Forecasts call for partly sunny, with a high near 55. Breezy, with a south southwest wind 20 to 29 mph becoming north northwest. Winds could gust as high as 40 mph. I should be able to perform most of the maneuvers in the wind except for eights on pylons and an emergency spiraling descent. If anything, I'll be able to go up and at least get the oral portion of the practical test out of the way and just have the flying (easy) part of the test to do at a later date.

So, it's a big week. Checkride on Monday and a birthday on Thursday. Also, it's Goshen's Spring Break week. I was told by Jess not to expect her presence here with other Goshenites. I only partly believe her on this. Last October, I convinced her that I couldn't get off work, but came up with others and called her room at 4 am when we arrived and surprised her. Part of me is thinking I'll be the surprised one this time. I guess tomorrow evening will give me the answer.

No pics this time. Perhaps when I'm not studying for a checkride, I'll make a blog chronicling the trip to Germany.

-Jon

Current flight status:
Total Flight Hours - 200.6
Total landings - 384
Total PIC - 148.3
Total ME - 0.8
Last instrument approach - ILS 17 @ KEWK

No comments: